Imagine your home wear a vivacious and lively look, with rustic touch and wrought iron furnishings. Yes, Mexican interior design is indeed a feast of colors and patterns. If you are someone, who loves vivid colors, pastoral furnishings and Native American influence, then Mexican design is just meant for you. However, before choosing a specific style, it is essential to understand its depth. Influenced vastly by Central American styles as well as Aztec and Mayan civilizations, this home décor style is not only popular in Mexico, but all across the globe. Extensive use of bright and vibrant colors is what lends this décor much of its charm and appeal. Other aspects that make it stand atop the favorite list are its colorful and warm look and the vibrancy it lends to a room. With rock-solid structure and natural materials, this user-friendly décor style is surely a win-win one. Moreover, all the Mexican accessories and furniture are economical and easily accessible at online stores and imported shops. Take a glance and make this beautiful art deco a part of your home.
Mexican Interior Decor Ideas
When you wish to lend an authentic Mexican charm to your home décor, all you need to do is just pick the right artifacts that speaks volumes about the city’s tradition and culture and incorporate them in your home décor. And voila! You have a home décor to die for.
- One of the best ways to lend Mexican charm to your home is to embellish it with fancy ornamental pieces like potteries or ornate furniture.
- To lend a more authentic Mexican touch to your room, embellish it with Talavera jars, vases, tiles, wall planters, wall arts, drawer pulls, welcome plaques, etc. The intricate polychrome, the typical blue and white designs, the indigenous floral and celestial motifs reveal an old world charm that is quintessentially Mexican. Whether for home decoration or for day-to-day use, Talavera pottery can make a wonderful addition to your Mexican home décor.
- To further embellish your home, you can use distinctive Mexican artifacts like Mata Ortiz pottery, Mexican blankets, chimineas, terra-cotta pots and Mexican rugs.
- Pewter tableware along with pick dishes, jugs and plates can be displayed on the walls and the shelves for further appeal.
- Adding wooden lighting and woven blankets to your home décor could further enhance the décor of your home. While Mexican weavings and hangings can be used to ornament the walls, Mexican folk art can be made the central point of the room.
- Add a cactus plant to give the perfect finishing touch.
Warm Color For Paint
Giving a warm colored paint to your wall serves as an excellent backdrop if you wish to provide a Mexican background for your room. For bolder look to the interiors, you can opt for earthy tones like clay or brick. If you are apprehensive about having darker shade walls, pick neutral shades like sand or taupe. Using faux paint method to create a stucco or adobe look would also do wonders. Combining bright hues with interesting texture would lend a rustic appearance to your homes.
Fabrics And Upholstery
Using plenty of hand-woven rugs in varied colors in every room is one of the typical features of a Mexican inspired home. Colorful beds, cushions and sofas make a brilliant Mexican interior. For curtains, you can opt for herbal supplies as a fabric. Being layered and fancy, the curtains will have plenty of Mexican artwork designed on them. Leather based fabrics, which provide a farm like appearance to the room can also be used.
For a Mexican inspired home, opt for natural, hard flooring. Alternatively, you can opt for ceramic tiles, clay tiles or limestone that looks equally stunning. As in real Mexican homes where you will find patterned ceramic tiles, you can consider incorporating the same in your home in areas like stairs, baseboards, under a window and around a fireplace. Adopting a rustic-style wooden floor will also provide an authentic look. You can choose mosaics and ceramic tile inlays for tabletops. Opting for Mexican terracotta’s in blue and shades of white would also look great.
To make a Mexican inspired home, pick simple but rustic style furniture such as antique pine, pine, cherry and walnut. You can include dark iron hardware such as knobs, external hinges, pulls and brackets to pull off an authentic look. If you wish to have a vibrant and colorful look, painting the furniture in bright Mexican colors would work wonders. In order to get a rustic look, polish the edges using wax and then paint it. Once it dries, polish the waxed areas using a cloth, brush or sandpaper to create a rustic finish. Using natural materials such as leather, rattan, rushes would beautify the rustic look.
Decorating The Living Room
Decorating your living room in authentic Mexican style would certainly be a challenge. If your living room has couches that suits a Mexican style, ensure to cover it using a solid colored slipcover. You can also drape a woven blanket over the back portion of the couch. Decorate the coffee table by scattering few mosaic tiles that serve as a coaster.
Beautify The Kitchen in Mexican Way
You can decorate your kitchen a la the Mexican way by installing a mosaic tile or metal backsplash that would give the place a character of its own. The wooden table can be beautified using a woven table runner and placemats. Placing an attractive Talavera vase or jug would further enhance its appeal.
One of the most private areas in your house — the bedroom can be made Mexican by decorating it with rich colors like brown and red. You can further enhance its texture and color by using throws, rugs and woven blankets..
Mexican design suits those who want their home to be vibrant as well as rustic. However, go through the above-mentioned ideas before you embrace this beautiful décor.